High School Students
In case you haven’t heard, accounting is HOT! Just a few short years ago, accounting became the no. 1 major on college campuses.
Why is accounting in such high demand as a field of study?
- Because accountants are in high demand.
- Because accounting offers graduates a variety of jobs in every type of organization in the public or private sector.
- Jobs are easy to find and secure.
- Personal and professional development are assured, as is a solid standard of living that can climb as high as one’s aspirations.
- Work is challenging, people are interesting, and opportunities never stop expanding.
Employment of accountants and auditors is expected to grow 16 percent from 2010 to 2020, according to the United States Department of Labor. There has been an increased focus on accounting in response to corporate scandals and recent financial crises. Stricter laws and regulations, particularly in the financial sector, will likely increase the demand for accounting services as organizations seek to comply with new standards. Additionally, tighter lending standards are expected to increase the importance of audits, as this is a key way for organizations to demonstrate their creditworthiness.
Clearly, high school accounting is not for back-office bookkeepers! It is for college-bound graduates who are planning dynamic, strategic, lifelong and lucrative careers.